“Healthy Growth is about serving as a close trusted advisor to a business and its owners, and continuously suggesting proactive ideas to help a business grow in all aspects and functions.”
MY GROWTH STRATEGY: I enjoy working with industrious people. For that reason, I choose to focus on closely held companies and their owners, solving challenges for business owners. Clients are busy and I value their time. I offer ideas in a proactive manner and explain concepts in a brief, summarized way. Helping a client achieve a goal, especially a really challenging one, is my favorite part of the profession.
WHAT DRIVES ME: Saving my clients money and helping them think through large business problems.
CLIENT SUCCESSES: I have helped countless businesses save income tax and improve efficiencies through proactive planning and responsiveness.
PROVEN TRACK RECORD: What I bring to the table is an ability to look at problems from different angles and persistently find solutions. To that end, I’ve helped many business owners plan their succession, which often involves selling the business. I have worked with them every step of the way, and ultimately helped them achieve a maximum outcome with the least amount of income tax.
WHEN I’M NOT AT WORK: My wife and I spend almost all of our free time with our two teenage kids, attending as many school and extracurricular events as possible. My wife and I are both University of Akron alums and we spend a significant amount of time attending Zips sporting events.
ON MY BUCKET LIST: Driving out on the open road to places I’ve never been is an ideal vacation for me, and I have plenty of places around the U.S. that I still need to see.
What are some areas often overlooked by businesses? Many business owners don’t realize that, many times, the most valuable financial asset is what a willing buyer would pay for future cashflows (Goodwill). This becomes a very important factor not only in valuing the business but also addressing the timeframe for succession. Having a business valuation expert with experience and integrity are critically important. These qualities are cornerstones to developing a business valuation that is seen as credible by tiers of fact.
What are the pressing issues facing businesses right now? Cashflow budgeting. Many business tax breaks have expired and personal tax rates have increased over the past of couple of years. Planning for cashflow is a critical component of addressing the changing tax landscape, now more than ever. The other pressing issue is succession planning. A solid succession plan typically takes 3-5 years of planning, and for the baby boom generation owners, that planning needs to be happening right now, if not completed already. Many of our clients are business owners who, after a lifetime of work, are looking to retire or transition their business to the next generation. Our business valuation services help them understand the value they have built and in many cases lead to the successful completion of the single largest transaction of their lifetime.
MORE ABOUT CHUCK MULLEN
Proactive + Responsive + Concise + Caring + Honest
- Tax Compliance, Research & Planning
- Management and Business Operations Consulting
Education & Designation
- Bachelor of Science, Accounting – The University of Akron
- Master of Taxation – The University of Akron
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Ohio Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Management Accountants
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants
- Certified Global Management Accountant
- Leadership Akron Class XXVI
- Bluecoats of Summit County, Present
- Summa Foundation Sapphire Advisory Board, Present
- The University of Akron Master of Taxation Governance Board, Present
- The University of Akron School of Accountancy Advisory Board, Present
- The University of Akron College of Business Administration Alumni Board, Present
- Portage Country Club Finance Committee, Chairman, Present
- Wooster Christian School Past Board member
- Greater Akron Chamber 30 For the Future Award Winner
- Weaver Industries Past Board member
- Cascade Capital Corporation Loan Committee, Past member